Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Bombshell Brewery Holly Springs, NC Women Owned and Brewed

At the suggestion of some new friends at Draftline Brewery(Angela and Alfie)who accompanied us, our next craft brewery stop was a small brewery called Bombshell Brewery at 120 Quantum Drive in Holly Springs. This story started with a home brewer named Ellen. I didn't have a chance to meet Ellen but I went to their website www. and gleaned some information about the place. So Ellen started brewing in 2000 and she became friends with Michelle and they brewed together. Like most home brewers, once you start making some good beer, the word gets out and all your friends want a taste or a bottle or a keg for their wedding. I don't know for sure if this happened to them but I'm guessing the story follows that path.Then in 2012, Jackie wanted in on the fun and Bombshell Brewery was the name of the game. I liked their logo, a1940 aircraft pin up style, curvaceous woman holding up a beer mug. I bought a 3/4 sleeve black top with a zipper at the neck and a logo on my chest in case I wanted to show off my bombshells, he he. I wear it a lot!


Alfie introduced us to Chris, the bar manager who easily talked us into a flight. The tap system serves 4 flagship beers and 4 seasonal beers. We asked Chris how he felt about working for three female owners at a brewery. He told us" the owners are awesome. the locals are awesome and who wouldn't like to work at a brewery? People are happy and we have a good time!" If I ever open a brewery, I'm stealing that man! Good P.R.
We started with their Polished Pilsner 4.5% ABV. This is a regular beer on tap with good color and a nice clean finish.
Then I sampled the Audition #2 Westie IPA 6.1% ABV which was my favorite. Tim flagged the Lemon Grass Pale Ale at 5.6% as the one he's order for his pint. We also had the Dirty Secret Coconut Stout 4.8% which was delicious , Silky Blonde Cream Ale 4.9% ABV and their experimental beer, their Westie with different hops.


Sitting at the bar, we struck up a conversation with a transplanted local couple from New Orleans, Alene Selph and her husband Gorman. They are members of the tap club and she told me her two favorite beers were the Dirty Secret Coconut Stout because of it's dark sweetness and also Silky Blonde. She really likes Heffeweizens style beers. This couple just celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in April ! They originally owned a brew shop for years. . Alene said she use to drink Coors Light in a can and it embarrassed her husband so much that he always made her put it in a koozie. So she started, "trying, tasting and liking" different styles of beer. My question was why would you move to North Carolina from New Orleans? Do you remember Hurricane Katrina? When the storm hit they found themselves stranded on the roof of their home. After the rescue they were dropped off and ended up sleeping on a sidewalk for a week before finally getting in touch with their son. They couldn't access their bank account because the banks were frozen so they lived with their son for two months. North Carolina seemed like a good place to relocate and they love the area. She is a really lovely, outgoing lady! Life sometimes takes the winding road, doesn't it?! And that's your,"Women Who Love Beer" story.
Family Friendly and dog friendly. I really enjoyed this brewery for the beer and the wonderful people I spent time with while there.
My last note is that they serve wine as well and if you don't find one you like, you may bring a bottle for a $5. corkage fee.


No comments:

Post a Comment